Something a little different for Tidbit Tuesday! I’ve been pondering different kinds of friends, and what they are like, there are so many different types out there and I’m sure you have at least one of each (the ones that call, the ones that don’t, the ones that care, the ones that compete, the kind that use you, the ones that keep secrets, or exclude you and the ones that would do anything for you).
So this is what kind of friend I think I am (others may see me differently). This is not a poor me post either, it’s what I think of myself. I wonder if you can be as honest to yourself about what type of friend you are?
I am the type of friend:
- who organizes the catch ups, the weekends away, the dinners. I am the planner and I like to do it. I wonder though, does it annoy people that I am always the planner, or do people just expect it of me now?
- that texts you out of the blue, to see how you are, see what you have been up to. If you had an appointment I knew about, I’ll see how that went or if you’ve been feeling unwell, I’ll see if you are ok.
- that if I am talking about you to someone else, I’m not bitching, its usually because I am worried about you and am trying to find a way to make sure you are ok, or if there is something I can do.
- that for some reason, sometimes when I introduce one friend to another, they end up good buddies, and me, well, I’m left behind (usually wondering what they hell I did wrong!).
- that gets upset if I find out someone has said something nasty or harsh about me behind my back. I wish I could call you on it, but I’m not like that. I wish I had thicker skin, but I don’t.
- that forgives, but I never forgets and it doesn’t mean I won’t carry the hurt around with me either.
- that has sucked being a friend since Phoebe was born. I don’t visit people as much as I would like. We’re a busy family, we go away a lot and make the most of the time we have together. But it means I don’t hang out with my friends, or drop in for coffee as much as I would like.
- who is terrible at answering the phone! I usually have it on silent, or I just don’t hear it (my Mum and sister hate this, but now they accept it). Text me and I’m on it though!
- who is trying to make more of an effort to ‘call’ friends occasionally rather than text. When was the last time you actually spoke to a friend on the phone??
- who is reliable! If I say I’ll be there, I will be, and ten minutes early too!! If I cancel, you know it’s because of something big (like me having a migraine or something to that effect).
- who rarely cancels!
- who often feels out of the loop, like I don’t have a solid friendship group. I think I even felt a bit like this in High School too, I was a drifter between many groups, but never really slotted cleanly into one.
- won’t let a friendship go, even if you don’t put in as much as I do…. I’ll keep messaging, emailing, calling, arranging catchups, hear that you have bitched about me and I’ll feel sick about it too, but I won’t call it quits. Instead I’ll wait for the day where you have the guts to say it to my face and we can either sort it out, or move on.
- that sees the best in people (I guess you can see that in the above comment). There’s a saying about the mean ones are usually the ones that need the most love, or something to that effect. I guess I stand by that.
I could keep writing forever, I honestly could, but I suppose these are the standouts to me. The positives and the negatives. So, c’mon, fess up! What type of friend do you think you are? I hope anyone who reads will comment xx
Tuesdays, where you get to learn ‘stuff’ about me!
1. I wish I could make pretty things, like quilts, but I don’t really know how to sew! If I ever have another bub, I have already teed up an ex-students Mum to teach me how to quilt. I have a sewing machine, I want to whip it out on the holidays and try my hand at bunting, I’ve Googled easy ways to do it, I hope it is as easy as it looks (god-bless Google!).
2. I feel awkward when I open presents, but don’t be misled, I love getting pressies, who doesn’t? But I hate being the centre of attention, all eyes on me, how should I react? Weird, maybe?
Tuesdays, where you find out ‘stuff’ about me!
1. I’m a visual learner. There is no point you telling me directions to a place or giving me measurements, it seriously goes in one ear and out the other, no matter how hard I try! Draw it for me or show it to me, and then I’ll know what the hell you are talking about. It frustrates hubby who is a plasterer, he’s all about the measurements.
2. When I was little, I was terrified of the wind! Who am I kidding? I still am. If it’s night time, and it’s windy and I have to put the bins out, you’ll find me sprinting down the driveway. It’s more of a fear when I’m outdoors and it’s night, not sure what it is, but it creeps me out.
Tuesdays, where you find out ‘stuff’ about me.
1. I don’t like to compete. I never have. At school I always used to find ways of getting out of Athletics days or swimming days, anything where I would have to compete. It’s not the fear of loosing or anything like that, I think that it is just because I know people have their own strengths and weaknesses.
2. My Dad lives far away now (well a three hour drive). It has it benefits, as it means a little holiday here and there to visit and we get to Skype a lot too, which Phoebe loves. But sometimes I just miss him being around. Can you tell I was Daddy’s girl?
Tuesdays, where you find out ‘stuff’ about me!
1. I have suffered with severe migraines since I was twelve years old. I still get them now, they hurt, I sometimes cry (sometimes for my Mum), I sometimes loose my vision temporarily or feel numb in my body, I use tiger balm on my temples, I take my tablets and hid away in my dark room. They usually last three days, sometimes longer. And sometimes I just have to drag myself out of bed to get stuff done! People always ask me how I do it? When you have had them as long as I have, sometimes you just need to get on with things and rest later for a bit longer.
2. Chocolate is my poison. I cannot help myself. If it is around, I will have it, if it isn’t I’ll crave it (sometimes bad enough to walk to the shops, but hey, I’ve worked off a bit of it by the time I get there, right??). Lindt chocolate balls melt in my mouth, make my tongue dance and seem to make me “mmmmm” out loud when I eat them.
Tuesdays, where you find out ‘stuff’ about me!
1. I have one sister. She is younger than I. We used to fight like cat and dog when we were younger, but now we are great friends. She is super stylish and funky, I envy how she dresses. She is confident in some ways that I am not. I hate that she eats like and pig and whatever she wants and never puts on a single gram of weight, and she hates when people comment about her weight. She is a pretty awesome person to have around (I hope she doesn’t get a big head).
2. Hubby and I have been together for twelve years and have only just gotten married. I knew him before we met, my best friend was going out with one of his best mates (they are married now too). We had our first pash at a nightclub and the rest as they say is history.
I will be participating in the Happy Days in May Project, with Naomi over at Seven Cherubs and many others too, head on over if you’d like to join in.
Each night, I’ll take five minutes to myself to write in my journal something that has made me feel happy on that day. I’ll Blog it weekly here too when I get another spare five minutes. I’m looking forward to taking a more positive approach to my days, it is so easy to get bogged down in negativity and unfortunately the negative things are usually much easier to find.
Tuesdays, where you get to find out ‘stuff’ about me.
1. I don’t eat fruit. Nope no fruit, not of any kind. So don’t ask me, what not even a banana? Not even watermelon? Not even strawberries? NO FRUIT. It’s not that I don’t want to, I can’t. It’s a texture thing. I even been hypnotized to try and help. If you think you know how to fix this, let me know.
2. I don’t wear slippers, not even on the coldest of nights. I won’t even wear socks instead. If it’s winter, you will still find me barefoot, yes, even on my cold floor boards!
Tuesday’s, where you get to find it ‘stuff’ about me!
1. I care what people think. I try not to sometimes, but I do, I really do care what people think. If I hear something that someone said about me that isn’t positive, it makes me feel sick and question what I did wrong and how I can make it better. I wish I was stronger sometimes.
2. If my kitchen isn’t clean, I feel like my whole house isn’t clean. Therefore if I don’t have time to clean the house, this is my number one priority.
Tuesdays, where you get to find out ‘stuff’ about me!
1. When I am really super tired or I can’t seem to get to sleep, I always lay on my belly with my head to the right and my hand under it. I always go straight to sleep but often wake up with pins and needles up my little fingers.
2. When I hang out the washing, I do it in a very orderly manner (meaning it probably takes more time hanging out but less to bring it in). Phoebe’s clothes go on a clothes horse, a big one, and everything is hung in categories, like all her tops together, her pajamas in the one spot … you get the jist. It’s the same for our clothes, I hang hubby’s altogether but in categories (work tops, work pants, normal tops, normal pants) and mine together in the same way. I used to color code the pegs too, but I’ve given up on that a bit now.
How do you hang your washing, please tell me your are particular about the way you do yours too!!?